Tuesday, February 28, 2017

New Blog - Many Thoughts




     I find everyday, especially when I blog on my Lovely Yarn Escapes blog, that I have words and thoughts swirling in my head.  Inward protests to the present situation, that I often bombard my husband when he comes home.  Words that I believe that are important and are felt also by many.  Silencing my feelings and observations of these days takes its toll, and frustrates me.  But everytime I write a blog post on knitting I'm trying to not be long winded and also not too offensive to the polar opposite political side.  I guess my hope in being less in your face with my opinions, I will persuade others over to what they would consider "The Dark Side", but I consider "The Truth" and light.  So here we are. I've just got to dash my thoughts down, share my angst. Perhaps you too feel that pent up rage and unbelief?  




     So, I'm in Starbucks talking to the Barista making my latte and I say I'm a Resistance Knitter.  Just rolled off my tongue and he's like, wow, what's that?  I haven't heard of that.  And I tell him we're just beginning and I'm thinking, we're making it up as it goes!  But, I believe we, as knitters, have created a new niche and way to protest, creatively through our art. 




      We as knitters have made a dramatic visual difference to the Women's March in Washington (A 'pussyhat' lands a spot on the cover of 'TIME' and 'The New Yorker') and also putting an indelible stamp on a powerful look to the protest marches of our time.  To make a visual statement we need to continue in the same tactic and create a homogeneous look to marchers, preferably from the head down where cameras often capture marchers.  So this is a journey to find ways to add a new dimension to protests, one not really explored before (except I hear that the slouch hat was used in protest in France during, I believe the French Revolution, but that's an area of exploration for later).




So, we will see where this goes.  My journey with you.  For I Am a Resistance Knitter and I and others will pave the way until there is no more fight to be fought!




Currently knitting for the March For Science, check out my recent post on patterns to knit:


New Ideas on Hat Patterns for March for Science

Join us for knitting for the March for Science-


March on Science link


4 comments:

  1. Glad to have a title "resistance knitter", as I was calling myself Madame Defarge. Hey, we gotta do something, right? I did notice that people who commented about the Pussyhats on generic knitting blogs received strong reactions. So it is probably best to take it to it's own space. I'm optimistic, so one day when the political emergency is resolved, I may have to yarn bomb the geocachers' sites. Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the name "Madame Defarge"! It reminds me that someone made a very detailed comment on the secret Board for the March for Science about how the slouch hat has been used through history, starting I believe with the French Revolution. So I need to copy that info. and do some homework! Yup, I know about the sites, I got banned by the largest because of a posting on Pussyhats. And the mud slinging was fierce! Yup, I'm trying to create safe places for us to talk and politely debate! I just created a Facebook page too, come join us - "The Resistance Knitters". https://www.facebook.com/groups/1638344526472008/

      Delete
    2. Knitting pro Vickie Howell posted herself wearing a Pussyhat on her own page (not a group). The attacks were numerous and terrible. And these are the ones calling people "snowflakes". Sheesh.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, you should've read the posts on knitting groups on Facebook. Hair curling. I'd be up in the middle of night and it got so bad, it was amusing and I'd stay up to read it. Unfortunately the Liberals are the ones that got banned.

      Delete